Our History

On 5 November 1985 Mr Ian Freemantle, previously the Deputy Principal of Robin Hills Primary School was appointed to supervise the opening of the new school. With much determination and enthusiasm, he set about the daunting task of ordering furniture, stock, other essential equipment plus the appointment of the school’s first 8 teachers, one secretary and three cleaners. In addition to these tasks, a transport scheme had to be initiated and facilities found to accommodate the extra mural timetable which the Acting Headmaster had in mind. An initial emergency plan was compiled and timetables set to provide for the security and ongoing, uninterrupted academic input for the incoming children. A school policy also had to be compiled.

Mr. Freemantle was officially appointed as the school’s first headmaster on 17 JUNE 1986

In an effort to dispel the unease and opposition amongst prospective new parents to the school, Mr. Freemantle, on 26 November 1985, held a meeting at Wendywood Primary School to discus and work through the various concerns. issues discussed included the proposed uniform, school fees, transport, extra murals, class numbers, staff, educational tours and development of the grounds. The outcome of this meeting ws very positive as feedback revealed a softening of attitudes amongst prospective parents who, from then on, provided much positive assistance.

On 15 November 1985 Mrs. Colleen Nixon was appointed as school secretary. After much hard work during December holidays, the school ws ready to receive its first ever intake of pupils.

1986 The Beginning of a proud establishment

Parents Teachers Association meet on 22 January and successfully finalized the fund raising activities fo 1986, necessary in order to meet the draft budgets requirements.

The first Management Council was elected on 5 February 1986and the draft budget was ratified. Mr. C. Rykhaart and Mr. Hammond were voted in as Chairman and Vice-chairman respectively. The role of the Management Council
was to assist the Principal and staff in the smooth running of the school in matters such as finance, grounds and maintenance and the appointment of staff. It also co-operated with the Parent Teachers Association (PTA) under the chairmanship of Mr. John Futter, in their enthusiastic activities at School (fundraising). As one can see, the amalgamation of these two bodies were, to an extent, the precursors to the present day School Governing Body.

The Tuckshop was opened during the first term.

Origin of the name

The name chosen for the new school was BUCCLEUCH PRIMARY SCHOOL. The name chosen for the suburb of Buccleuch was the work of one, Mr. Gibson who lived during the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. He owned a transport business (carts pulled by horses) transporting goods from Kimberly in the Northern Cape to Johannesburg. It was during this time that diamonds and gold were discovered. Mr. Gibson found that he required a dwelling near Johannesburg in which to live and stable his horses, so he bought a farm – today the suburb of Buccleuch. As he had some connection with people living in Buccleuch, Scotland he decided to name his farm after this region. In 1939, the farm Buccleuch was divided up into several small holdings which were collectively called the township of Buccleuch. Over time the small holdings were further subdivided into small stands, thereby increasing the population size of the area. Eventually it was deemed necessary to build a school for the burgeoning area – hence the name Buccleuch Primary School.

School Badge

On 26 February, 1986 the school badge design as finalised. It was designed by Mr. Fremantle, the first principal of the school, and is very symbolic.

The Castle design harks back to the famous Buccleuch Castle in Scotland which originally belonged to the great grandfather of Sir Walter Scott. The castle took about 10 years t build and as far as it is known the castle was destroyed by enemies round about 1540. A new castle was built and was named Drumlandrig.

On 15 November 1985 Mrs. Colleen Nixon was appointed as school secretary. After much hard work during December holidays, the school ws ready to receive its first ever intake of pupils.

Extra Murals

On 21 January the extra mural timetable was finalised and the following activities commenced on 27 January 198670% of the children participated in one or another of the activities.

Softball                                       Tennisette

Tennis                                         Arts & Crafts

Swimming                                   Judo/Karate

Choir                                           Gymnastics


Iinially the school did not have any sports facilities, but Eskom (situated very close to the school) came to the rescue allowing the school to make use of their sporting facilities. Permission was granted to make use of their swimming pool, tennis courts and soccer fields which were used for softball.

School Fields development

Many of the Foundation Parent Body will remember planting grass on the main sports fields which at the time were dust and sand.! All the Department undertook to provide was to grass the banks surrounding the area designated as sports fields – all other areas became the responsibility of the school and its members.

With a wonderful spirit amongst staff, parents and pupils everyone got down to work planting the required grass

– the entire northern part of the school was hand planted, as were the areas between the various blocks.
– Before too long the result was green fields for the children to play on, in fact, by the end of February 1986 the
– entire football/athletics oval had been grassed thanks to such commitment from parents, learners, staff and the
– Job Opportunity Programmes made possible by the Dept. of Education.